Your contributions to the PBS Strategic Initiatives Fund strengthen our support for students! Here are some examples of the many valuable supports and experiences we provide:
- Student Advising and Undergraduate Events, including our Peer Mentoring Program and the Senior Celebration Reception.
- Purchase of research materials and poster printing. PBS helps to provide undergraduate research assistants with the materials they need to complete their research projects, and to disseminate their findings! A limited amount of funds are also available to cover material costs for master's and doctoral students.
- The Undergraduate Research Symposium held each April in Tobin Hall. This event gives undergraduates the opportunity to share their excellent research with faculty, graduate students, and peers. It’s a celebration of our students’ honors theses, their hard work, and the valuable outcomes of their research.
- Undergraduate Senior Awards including Academic Excellence, Outstanding Honors Thesis, Senior Service, and Outstanding Internship.
- PBS Student Organizations: Diversity and Psychology Club, Nu Rho Psi the Neuroscience Honor Society, UMass chapter of the Psi Chi Honors Society, and UMass Neuroscience Club.
- Conference travel awards. “PBS gave me the opportunity to attend the 2019 Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies conference, which allowed me to present my research on emotion dysregulation and pain perception and make valuable connections." —Lauren Haliczer, Graduate Student in Clinical Psychology. The Department provides conference travel awards to graduate students seeking to learn from other scientists within their discipline and share their research with the greater scientific community.
- Guest Speakers that give students and faculty the chance to learn about new developments from their peers in psychological and brain sciences.
- Career Fairs. PBS offers several career advancement events each year at the Marriott Room of the Campus Center. All psychology majors can receive career and academic advice by meeting representatives from local and national businesses, non-profit organizations, graduate programs, and state and federal agencies.